Announcements: Fundraiser/Social this Thursday @ Pluckers! 6-midnight!
At meeting we had 2 representatives from Bilinguistics come by and tell us about their practice and about being bilingual in communications sciences and disorders...
- Started in 2002
- Provide service to bilingual children and families
@ Mopac and Spicewood Springs
- Have 7 therapy rooms
** If you are interested in observation or volunteering they would love to have you!
- School Districts
- Early Childhood Intervention Programs
- Home-based services
Some of the things they do:
- Early childhood intervention services – mostly home-based
- School services
- Continuing education courses
- SMILE Publication
- Marketing – they have facebook, twitter, and slideshare
- SMILE Preschool initiated
- Lit Kits – draws in reading to the therapy sessions, homeworks and pre-reading activities that encompass morphology, syntax, semantics etc.
- The State of Texas Autism Project
- State of Texas ECI Training on Bilingualism
- IPAD App – Bilingual and Phonology Assessment (BAPA)
- Austin SMILES – they have teamed up with a nonprofit here in Austin that does cleft palate surgeries in Nicaragua, El Salvador, And Guatemala – help set up a plan for those children – there is an endowment at UT to send masters students on the trips
- Work in homes and schools
- Have developed their own materials
- Have done research with Dr. Byrd
- there is no bilingual certification in the state of TX, but currently there is a set of standards issued by TSHA (native or near native proficiency, and awareness of cultural differences and development)
- They also serve languages other than Spanish – 8 different languages last year – they use interpreters.
- Here at UT Liz Pena, Lisa Bedore, and Li Sheng are all doing research concerning bilingualism.
- School of Kinesiology and School of Education are both doing work with Autism and bilingualism.
Some of the continuing education courses:
- Live workshops for : School districts, TX regional education services centers, ECI Programs, Private clinics
- Boot camp on Bilingualism and Multiculturalism
- Presentations at TSHA
- Online Continuing Education Courses
- Wednesday Webinars
- a ton of resources to look through