- the flyer for the SLP Summit mentioned in the upcoming events Prezi is posted below this post on the blog :)
- it includes people to email with questions and the website to register!
- don't forget to check our google calendar and/or the upcoming events tab on the blog! we have a lot of activities coming up!
- Here's a message from Hayden about officer elections coming up!
Unfortunately, we forgot to mention Officer Elections at tonight's meeting!
If you would like to run for an available position, you must complete the following steps:
1) Sign up on this google doc for the position(s) you will be running for: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmTuN6HdqWvsdHd5ZjhEc3JhcWlhNVk0dTZPdjRDWWc#gid=0
2) Prepare a 2-3 minute speech on why you want the position you are running for, what qualifications you have, etc.
3) Email a written version of that speech to Sarah (firstname.lastname@example.org) by April 21st at Noon to be posted on the blog (this way online members and members not in attendance can still vote).
4) (Optional) Attend the officer information meeting with the current officers on April 15th at 5:00 P.M.! We will meet in the Belo Student Leadership Suite! This is a great chance to learn about the responsibilities of each position. You may also email the individual officers to ask questions!
5) Attend the officer election meeting on April 22nd in BMC 1.202 at 5:00 to present your speech. If you cannot make it to this meeting, please email me and let me know. We might be able to make alternative arrangements!
The open positions will be: Secretary, Treasurer, Historian, Service Chair, Fundraising Chair, Social Chair, and Publicity Chair. You may run for multiple positions, but doing so may split your vote! Also, be sure to look at how many other people are running for your chosen position before choosing! Choose wisely and good luck!
Austin Speech Labs Guest Speakers
- finally, we have a miscellaneous point opportunity coming up that I need to announce! My uncle is an acoustical engineer, and has offered to let NSSLHA come tour his lab (go inside specially-treated sound chambers like anechoic chambers, etc, and see some hearing demonstrations). This might be most interesting for our audiology majors, but everyone is invited!
- Friday, April 25th from 3-4pm at 1301 Arrow Point Dr, Cedar Park, TX 78613
- We will meet in front of the Littlefield Fountain (on the South Mall) at 2:15pm for anyone who wants a ride there.
- If you are planning on going (especially if you want a ride!) please fill out the Google form so I can know how many people to expect. Click here
Austin Speech Labs Guest Speakers
- intensive speech therapy, primarily for stroke survivors
- most have been through a rehab program, but more support is necessary because stroke recovery is a very long process!
- insurance usually only covers an hour of therapy twice a week, and they tend to discontinue therapy if you're not immediately progressing
- clients need WAY MORE THERAPY THAN THIS! IN TERMS OF YEARS!
- clients can make progress for 10 years even!
- clients have difficulties including auditory processing and speech production problems
- the majority of the staff is undergraduate student volunteers!
- they have clients from every field! their cognitive abilities are intact, and they are very smart despite their acquired speech and language difficulties. staff love learning from the clients!
- this is a great opportunity for you to help someone get back into the community after a stroke, find out if speech pathology is what you truly want to do, and whether you want to work with adults
- visit their website for more information and watch videos about some of the clients! http://www.austinspeechlabs.org/
- offers a place to get affordable therapy ($10/hour) for a very long time (for years, if they want!)
- Adrienne is the volunteer coordinator! email email@example.com to figure out when you can volunteer!
- their usual schedule is MWF 9-12 OR 1-4
- TTH same hours
- it's never too late to join! even this boot camp that just started yesterday
- tuesday, thursday, friday mornings are needed right now especially!
PLEASE FILL OUT THE GOOGLE FORM FOR YOUR ATTENDANCE POINT! PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT ON THE BLOG FOR ATTENDANCE. IT WILL NOT BE COUNTED.