Austin Speech Labs - Read Announcements at Bottom!
- They are a nonprofit who provide therapy services to stroke survivors and patients who have suffered brain injury to help them regain their speech, language, and social lives.
- They are doing a service to people who are motivated to improve but may lack the opportunity to continue therapy.
- They offer a place to come together and share their experiences.
- They do group sessions, individual sessions, and telecommute therapy.
- After a stroke, a patient may receive therapy for about 6 months but individuals whose insurance has run out or who don't have insurance can go to Austin Speech Labs to receive therapy services for $10 an hour.
- They have speech therapy services and do special boot camps that run for 8 weeks and can be a few days a week for 3 hours a day.
- Austin Speech Labs had 3 of their patients join us and tell us their stories. Their testimonials were amazing and we learned so much! Their prognoses were poor but thanks to Austin Speech Labs they broke the boundaries and are still improving many years after their strokes.
- Volunteers always needed! They have programs that run in the summer in June and July. Email Shelley at email@example.com. Let her know if you are interested. They are on Facebook and you can find them at www.austinspeechlabs.org. During the school year, they usually have shifts 9-12 or 1-4. There should be a form up on their website for volunteering etc.
- There is typically group sessions and volunteers are paired with a client within that group. The supervisors walk around and help out. Great opportunity!
Fundraiser - Bake Sale April 24th (CMA Plaza) and 25th (West Mall) 9:00 am-2:00pm
- Google doc will be sent out to sign up for shifts and baked items to bring. (1 pt. for hour shift, 1pt. for item)
Social - 1. Amy's Ice Cream on Guad (This Thurs. April 12 @ 6:30-8:00)
2. Dave & Busters (Next Wed. April 18 @ 7:00) officers are driving and picking up in front of Littlefield Fountain
3. Game Night (Wed. April 25 6:00-8:00 location TBA)
Banquet is May 1st 5:00 RSC 2.104 - Respond to evite!
OFFICER ELECTIONS WILL BE HELD NEXT MEETING April 24!
An email will come with steps to be taken if you would like to run.