Thank to everyone that made it out the meeting! Austin Speech Labs came and talked to us about what they do, what kinds of patients they see, and volunteer opportunities! As always, they're speakers and inspirational stories reminded all of us why we love our major so much! :)
AUSTIN SPEECH LABS
• Non-profit org that provides intense speech therapy for stroke survivors
• Most patients receive therapy 3 days a week for 3 hours
• 2 patients gave us their stories about how Austin Speech Labs helped them recover and regain their speech, even after receiving poor prognoses from doctors. Their stories were so amazing and inspirational to us all.
• 2 SLPAs and 1 volunteer spoke to us about how rewarding it is to work/volunteer there and see how patients improve so much in such a little bit amount of time
• In order to volunteer: email – email@example.com
o Looking for volunteers for this semester!
o 6 week sessions available as well starting in Nov.
o Email them with days and times you are available
o Most shifts are from 9am-12pm or 1-4pm
o There are also summer opportunities available.
• BE SURE TO LIKE AUSTIN SPEECH LABS ON FACEBOOK!!
• Wear NSSLHA shirt to next meeting for group photo!
• Oct. 18th next social from 6-8pm!!!
o Game night at the Block (details have been sent in an email)
o Bring some games you might want to play! (Wii games, board games)